Top 30 Songs Of 2014
For this year, I expanded my list of the best songs of the year to 30. I heard upwards of 2,000 songs released this year. Consequently, the 30 that made my list are truly the best of the best.
Following the list, is an embed of a podcast where I “count down” the Top 30, and add some commentary. Complete versions of each song can be heard in the countdown. Last year’s Top 20 can be found here.
This list is biased heavily toward songs released in the first ten months of the year. That does not mean that songs released since October are not worthy of being listed. Those songs, however, did not have sufficient time to percolate so that they could be assessed adequately against songs that I have been on my listening devices for many months. They will be eligible for inclusion in next year’s list.
I also decided not to include any covers or live versions of songs. Instead, the focus is on original music released over the past twelve months. Well, one track (“The Kids”) was released in the waning days of 2013, but is much more of a “2014 song” than a song of the prior year.
As always, it is difficult to make fine line distinctions between great songs, and your mileage may, of course, vary. Mine could also vary over time, but this is how I see it at the end of 2014.
1. Cliff Hillis, “Dashboard” (Song Machine EP)
2. Linus Of Hollywood, “Biography” (Something Good)
3. The Legal Matters, “The Legend Of Walter Wright” (S/T)
4. phonograph, “Don’t You Bring Me Down” (phonograph Vol. 1)
5. The Paul & John, “Long Way Back” (Inner Sunset)
6. Aerial, “Why Don’t They Teach Heartbreak At School” (Why Don’t They Teach Heartbreak At School)
7. Dave Caruso, “The Art Of Erica” (Cardboard Vegas Roundabout)
8. Nick Piunti, “Quicksand” (single)
9. The Hazey Janes, “(I’m) Telescoping” (The Language Of Faint Theory)
10. Mothboxer, “In The Morning” (Sand And The Rain)
11. Dropkick, “Halfway Round Again” (Homeward)
12. Ransom and the Subset, “When Will I See You” (No Time To Lose)
13. The New Mendicants, “Cruel Annette” (Into The Lime)
14. The Carousels, “My Beating Heart” (Love Changes Like The Seasons)
15. The New Trocaderos, “The Kids” (single)
16. The Crush, “Around” (Future Blimps EP)
17. The Well Wishers, “I Believe” (A Shattering Sky)
18. The Persian Leaps, “Pretty Boy” (Drive Drive Delay EP)
19. The Above, “Do Your Have A Healthy Mind” (Waterbury Street)
20. Edward O’Connell, “The End Of The Line” (Vanishing Act)
21. Propeller, “You Remind Me Of You” (single)
22. Chris Richard & The Subtractions, “Call Me Out” (Decayed)
23. Greg Ieronimo, “Roller Coaster Ride” (Bipolar Love)
24. The Person & The People, “Vitamin C” (What A Drag)
25. The Bon Mots, “Gallahad” (Best Revenge)
26. Sugar Stems, “Haunted” (Only Come Out At Night)
27. Muscle Souls, “Mark On The World” (Mark On The World EP)
28. Rick Hromadka, “Dreams Of A Hippy Summer” (Trippin’ Dinosaurs)
29. The Britannicas, “Got A Hold On Me” (High Tea)
30. Gen Pop, “Warm Sun” (Waiting For Disaster)
Great selections! Many many bands from my top 20
Looking forward to reading your lists!
Pingback: Top 20 Albums Of 2014 | Pop That Goes Crunch!
Pingback: Top 10 EPs Of 2014 | Pop That Goes Crunch!
Pingback: It’s Troc Time, Baby | Pop That Goes Crunch!
Pingback: Stereo Tiger: More Great Rockin’ Pop From Michigan | Pop That Goes Crunch!
Pingback: The New Trocaderos Deliver Non-Stop Thrills And Chills | Pop That Goes Crunch!
Pingback: New Perfect Harmony From The Legal Matters | Pop That Goes Crunch!